Miss Allan and Mrs Bashir would like to welcome you to Class 1!
Our topic this half term is 'The Great Fire of London'. We will be learning about what the fire caused, and how we learn about things that have happened a long time ago.
We will be learning about life in the 17th Century and how it was different to life today.
This term in English we are going to be continuing with our Read Write Inc. programme. We will be learning how to read and write new words through phonics with our reading books directly linked to our phonics and writing. We will be practising our letter formation, as well as practising our year 1 common exception words. Any other writing will be done cross curricularly through topic.
In maths this half term we are going to be focusing on numbers to 10, one more and one less, number bonds, addition and subtraction within 10, solving word problems and 2D and 3D shapes.
In Science this half term our topic is 'Everyday Materials'. We will be finding out about about different materials, and what things are made of.
The rest of our subjects will be taught in a cross curricular way based around our topic for this half term.
During the school day, there are dedicated times where we collectively stop, think and reflect. Children are invited to join in with these prayers.
For health and strength and daily food,
We thank you Lord,
End of day prayer
Thank you Lord for this nice day,
Bless our work, our friends, our play,
Our classroom and playground have prayer spaces that children may visit too.
What can you do to help your child at home?
- Share your child’s reading book with them each night. It’s important to talk about the book together (the words and the pictures) and please sign their Reading Diary each time.
- Children will be given three new spellings each week. We ask that you practise these at home with children, along side us learning them in school.
- Spelling Bee practice. Every child has a login to this area of our website where they can practise the common exception words and spelling patterns they are learning in class.
- Ensure that your child completes their Learning Log activity each week and brings it to school on Wednesday.
- Look on the Fun Stuff tab to find other useful links.
Please come and talk to us if there is anything else you want to know or discuss. You'll find us on the playground before and after school for a quick chat. If you need longer, please make an appointment and we'll be happy to meet with you.