Miss Allan and Mrs Bashir would like to welcome you to Class 1!
Our topic this half term is 'Once upon a time'. We will be looking at traditional tales such as The Three Billy Goats Gruff, The Gingerbread Man and Little Red Riding Hood.
This term in English we are going to be focusing on the story 'The Three Billy Goats Gruff'. We will be describing the characters and the setting in the story and we will be writing our own story based in a similar setting. We will also be writing instructions for how to make soup for the Troll from the story. We will be starting to follow Read Write Inc. this half term which will incorporate phonics, reading, handwriting and writing in each session.
In maths this half term we are going to be focusing on numbers to 10, one more and one less, comparing numbers, number bonds, addition and subtraction within 10 and solving word problems.
In Science this half term our topic is 'Everyday Materials'. We will be finding out about about different materials, and what things are made of.
The rest of our subjects will be taught in a cross curricular way based around our topic for this half term.
During the school day, there are dedicated times where we collectively stop, think and reflect. Children are invited to join in with these prayers.
For health and strength and daily food,
We thank you Lord,
End of day prayer
Thank you Lord for this nice day,
Bless our work, our friends, our play,
Our classroom and playground have prayer spaces that children may visit too.
What can you do to help your child at home?
- Share your child’s reading book with them each night. It’s important to talk about the book together (the words and the pictures) and please sign their Reading Diary each time.
- Children will be given three new spellings each week. We ask that you practice these at home will children, along side us learning them in school.
- Spelling Bee practice. Every child has a login to this area of our website where they can practise the common exception words and spelling patterns they are learning in class.
- Ensure that your child completes their Learning Log activity each week and brings it to school on Wednesday.
- Look on the Fun Stuff speech bubble to find other useful links.
Please come and talk to us if there is anything else you want to know or discuss. You'll find us on the playground before and after school for a quick chat. If you need longer, please make an appointment and we'll be happy to meet with you.