Miss Allan and Mrs Bashir would like to welcome you to Class 1!
Our topic this half term is 'Julia Donaldson'.
We will be finding out all about her and her fantastic stories.
This term in English we are going to be focusing on the story 'Room on the Broom' by Julia Donaldson. We will be describing the characters in the story and looking at the vocabulary used in the story. We will also be writing our own story based on this one. We will continue to do phonics and reading on a daily basis, as well as handwriting weekly.
In maths this half term we are going to be learning about the symbols < > and =, which mean greater than, less than, and equal to. We will continue to practice our number and place value focusing on counting forwards and backwards to 100, and finding one more and one less than a number. We will also be looking at fractions and finding half and a quarter of objects.
In Science we are going to be learning about different types of plants and including trees and flowers. We will be looking at the how the seasons affect them, and the different parts of a plant.
The rest of our subjects will be taught in a cross curricular way based around our topic for this half term.
During the school day, there are dedicated times where we collectively stop, think and reflect. Children are invited to join in with these prayers.
Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.
End of day prayer
Thank you Lord for this nice day,
Bless our work, our friends, our play,
Our classroom and playground have prayer spaces that children may visit too.
What can you do to help your child at home?
- Share your child’s reading book with them each night. It’s important to talk about the book together (the words and the pictures) and please sign their Reading Diary each time.
- Children will be given three new spellings each week. We ask that you practice these at home will children, along side us learning them in school.
- Spelling Bee practice. Every child has a login to this area of our website where they can practise the common exception words and spelling patterns they are learning in class.
- Ensure that your child completes their Learning Log activity each week and brings it to school on Wednesday.
- Look on the Fun Stuff speech bubble to find other useful links.
Please come and talk to us if there is anything else you want to know or discuss. You'll find us on the playground before and after school for a quick chat. If you need longer, please make an appointment and we'll be happy to meet with you.