Miss Allan and Mrs Bashir would like to welcome you to Class 1!
Our topic this half term is 'Sporting Heroes!' We will be doing lots of sport and finding out about different sporting heroes and the things they have accomplished.
This term in English we are going to be focusing on the story 'The rainbow fish'. We will be describing the characters and the setting in the story and we will be writing our own story based in a similar setting. We will continue to do phonics and reading on a daily basis, as well as handwriting weekly.
In maths this half term we are going to be practising our number bonds up to 20, and addition and subtraction within 20. We will also be looking at capacity, telling the time and 3D shapes.
In Science this half term our topic is 'Animals including humans'. We will be comparing different animals and learning the names of the groups they belong in.
The rest of our subjects will be taught in a cross curricular way based around our topic for this half term.
In RE this half term we will be thinking about the question 'What does it mean to belong to a faith community?'
Here are some of the children sharing what they think heaven is like.
During the school day, there are dedicated times where we collectively stop, think and reflect. Children are invited to join in with these prayers.
Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.
End of day prayer
Thank you Lord for this nice day,
Bless our work, our friends, our play,
Our classroom and playground have prayer spaces that children may visit too.
What can you do to help your child at home?
- Share your child’s reading book with them each night. It’s important to talk about the book together (the words and the pictures) and please sign their Reading Diary each time.
- Children will be given three new spellings each week. We ask that you practice these at home will children, along side us learning them in school.
- Spelling Bee practice. Every child has a login to this area of our website where they can practise the common exception words and spelling patterns they are learning in class.
- Ensure that your child completes their Learning Log activity each week and brings it to school on Wednesday.
- Look on the Fun Stuff speech bubble to find other useful links.
Please come and talk to us if there is anything else you want to know or discuss. You'll find us on the playground before and after school for a quick chat. If you need longer, please make an appointment and we'll be happy to meet with you.