Hello everyone! Miss Combs and Mrs Sykes are excited to be working with Nursery this year. Our topic for this term is people who help us! We are learning about different occupations, summertime and we are getting ready to move up to our new class. It's a very exciting term!
We are learning the picture cards from Read, Write, Inc. This is the phonics programme used throughout Early Years and Key Stage 1.
You can practice these picture sounds at home with your child. Show your child the picture cards and ask them to name the picture. For example, for 'a', your child might say 'apple', 'a-a-apple' or 'round the apple, down the leaf'. This is perfect!
We are learning all our picture cards before we learn pure sounds, like 'a', and before we write the letters.
If you would like to do any extra homework with your children at home, here are some ideas of things you can do:
- Learn to recognise their own name. You could show things with their names on or write down their names for them.
- Practice writing their first name.
- Practice counting! This can be counting birds in the park, counting plates for dinner time or counting objects they can find.
- Encourage drawing, colouring, using chalks, painting - mark making is very important for early writing.
- Sing Nursery Rhymes and counting songs.
- Spot patterns, compare sizes, find shapes and use fingers to show numbers to practice maths skills.
- Point out numbers when you are out and about, like door numbers or on buses. Ask or tell them what numbers you can see!
- Read simple stories often. Allow your child to learn the story and repeat it as you read.
Watch our Christmas sing-a-long below! We loved learning new songs and actions.